Saturday, 25 July 2026

The Shoulder Heals. The Roads Don't.



Friday, 25 July 2025: I was on my way to the Metro station, heading to work.

It's usually a 13-minute scooter ride. It was drizzling, and the overnight rain had left the roads strewn with sand and loose gravel. Just another monsoon morning, or so I thought.

A speed breaker. A skid. A fall.

I landed on my right shoulder. The diagnosis: multiple near-complete tears in the rotator cuff.
Surgery followed. Then came over a month with my arm immobilised, countless physiotherapy sessions, and the slow, often frustrating journey back.

Today marks exactly one year since that fall. My shoulder is almost back to normal. It still hurts. I still can't play badminton, and bowling overarm in cricket isn't possible yet.

But I'm optimistic. Healing takes time, and I'm looking forward to the day I can pick up a racket and also bowl again.

What hasn't changed, though, is the condition of our roads.

They're still slippery. Still unsafe. And every ride now comes with a little more caution than before.

No, I'm not filing complaints with the civic authorities. They know the state of the roads. They're aware. The rains have only just begun, and erosion is inevitable. Why repair something today if it'll be damaged again tomorrow?

Life, I suppose, goes on. We fall. We get up. We crib. We move on.

Not every problem ends with a protest. If it did, Hyderabad would come to a standstill just to remind its administrators of the civic issues that are visible to everyone.

For now, I'll settle for a warm handshake in thought...

...though I'd probably have to say, Easy there, the shoulder still hurts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image: AI Generated

No comments:

The Shoulder Heals. The Roads Don't.

Friday, 25 July 2025:  I was on my way to the Metro station, heading to work. It's usually a 13-minute scooter ride. It was drizzling, a...