Saturday 14 November 2009

20 years since I was 20



… For I too believe


Cricket is Religion


and


Sachin Tendulkar is God…!


I was in my twentieth year and my final year in college, it was mid week and I had bunked classes to watch Test cricket on Doordarshan… He was barely 16 and played just 24 balls in his first innings… I was not alone in predicting a long innings from him…

November 15, 1989 - Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar had arrived
An Inspiration for a lifetime

... not just that innings… I have watched almost every innings in his illustrious 20 year career, and pray we watch many more from this batting genius.




Today as he completes 20 years in International cricket, having conquered many a statistical milestone, I write this ode to a person who has been an inspiration for a generation and more and I have one thing to proclaim, like millions of others in this country and across the world – I am THE biggest Sachin Tendulkar fan of them all.

Today in my 40th year, I am proud to have journeyed 20 years with his career and have seen many cricketing ups and downs and in all these years never once have I had one word of negativity for the idol, who not just inspired cricketers but made every day lives more pleasant with his achievements that only got better by the day.

The days I have squirmed in sleep over his missed centuries, the bitter fights with friends and colleagues over why Sachin is the Greatest and how Sachin never played for records, but records continued to happen are just too many to be recorded here.

Barring few minor incidents, one cannot remember any on field behaviour or off field tantrums from the little master, that have blotted even the greatest like the Don or SMG’s career and that is the humility of the person which needs to be emulated by the present generation, of not just cricketers, but everyone in general life

I have admired the positive attitude that stemmed from his exemplary on field presence and has made my life one that has been what it is today – one that has discipline written all over.

Even as I am tempted to reel off the statistics, greatest innings, best shots, wonderful moments, disappointments and phenomenal achievements and not to forget the innumerable records... I just have this to say... my half life was memorable thanks to you.




I wear my patriotism on my sleeve and carry the national flag in my
wallet always… inspired by the greatest Indian sportsman ever.


Pray! May you continue set standards for the world to follow in cricket and off it.





-------------pics courtesy: internet ---------



8 comments:

Priya said...

I was inspired by God in my eight standard...what started as watching a man in blue hitting sixes and fours..went on to become an obsession...and an inspiration..the more i watched him play,the more i saw his interaction with outside world...the more he became an inspiration...someone told me if u wanna meet Sachin become a journalist...and believe me that has been a major factor for me to become a journalist...He rocks..he is the God...

Deepak said...

A very good post Venkat bhai. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar - The name is enough.

"Khudi ko kar buland itna ki khuda khud bandey se poochey bata teri raza kya hai"

We are so lucky to see him in this generation.

Unknown said...

In my school days....i only watch cricket for tendulkar and then after when i came to hyderabad and met venkat...that made me to watch every match and listen to the excellent argument between a hardcore tendulkar fan and the others..............But today i realised Tendulkar is god of all forms of cricket.....Hats off tendulkar........And venki anna Hats off

Unknown said...

One thing i really like abt him is tat no matter how rich he is today, he is not arrogant in his words ever.. Most of the cricketers cant stay on ground but sachin has roots so strong that no matter how high he goes he stands strong..

Racing Raccoon said...

Sachin,
He plays cricket like a musician hypnotised by his own music. Its like he's speaking to the wind, judging the notes of the swing, and then goes about striking the chord...music, symphony.
I met him once at a bumper draw organised by one of the music stores in Hyderabad. very down to earth..

Sriram Karri said...

Were it not true, it would be so unbelievable a piece of imagination, this little man-kid would. Surpassing all giants before, with a steadfast eye that never wavered for two decades, ST is an all time Sporting Great.

As a lover of sport once said, there are those who love sports, and there are those whom sports love, and here is one who is both.

I won't sing songs for him, because the swan song is still some time away... but till then, cricket and sports might stand up and whisper, there was a man.

Sriram Karri
oratorgreat.blogspot.com

Johnson said...

An excellent tribute indeed. Passion and dedication are the two key words to describe the Master Blaster.

mathu's memoirs said...

All said and done India has produced one of the greatest cricketer the world will ever see in the form of SRT. Any amount of eulogy will not be enough for this cricketer selfless most of the times especially after that desert storm he has fully dedicated his life to the team.

But it is always a mystery why India has not won so many games with this gifted one at its side. One may argue that without this man india would have faced humiliation most of the time. But the greatest quality lies in winning games for the team and not taking the team to the winning distance and left and felt after defeat.

But it is also true the team should learn from sachin about turning potential defeats into a possible victory by sheer presence in the middle. if two of the other six joined hands then results of all the matches would have been different.

but as u know there is no ifs and buts in a game. my only wish now is let the ominously talented cricketer retire in grace after his coveted wish of winning the world cup, rather than the selectors show an unceremonious exit which each and every legends of cricket faced and humiliated.

for his services to the indian cricket team and millions of sports lovers world wide this one needs a better salutation on his retirement.

mathu

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....