Thursday 18 December 2008

A Journalistic Shame

Muntazer al-Zaidi has violated the ethics of journalism, that prescribes a reporter must only be a medium to convey news, not become The News himself.
Independently a reporter can have his own choices and prejudices, but at a Press conference - it is imperative to be unbiased and not opinionate, I as a reader don't like to be told through news columns -This is RIGHT, This is WRONG. Give me news... I'll make my own conclusion.
Iam NO journalist NOR am I a big fan of the Americans in general or the Bush Administration in particular, but then I detest the "purported heroism" of the jingoistic reporter, who has put to shame many a seasoned journalist.

I would like to know from Journalist friends - If ever they would've felt proud doing that...! If they thought it was "A Brave act" - I'd say it was just a stupid act, and the fraternity should not empathise with him.

Reason or No Reason - It's truly in POOR TASTE...!
------------------------------------------------

4 comments:

Sriram Karri said...

This raises several questions, none to me more important than the issue of: WHAT SHOULD A MAN DO? And how to judge what is right, or wrong?

Professional conduct, as a doctor, writer, journalist, teacher, lawyer, politician are significantly key to an individual's identity, but on the highest altar of conviction, CAN take a backseat.

The issue is this: I am MORE Islamic or Iraqi than a journalist. It is a choice. Shame of journalism and pride of Islam... you choose what is more important to you.

To me a journalist throwing shoes at anyone means nothing... much. It can't be wrong from the MIND of the man who did it.

For me... I am a supporter of war against terror. Any day, even where there are gray areas, I will support American against the terror-sponsoring elements of the world.

Anonymous said...

Well honestly, i think it was a brilliant act. To hit someone who claims to be the Big brother of the world, needs conviction and guts. And this Iraqi expressed the anguish of many like him. To me its secondary that he was a journalist and that he violated the ethics. Because, at the end of the day, a journalist is a human being first and then a journalist later. Would i have done the same thing? yea why not! But not as a padma priya a reporter but more like padma priya a person in anguish! If it gives me those few seconds of satisfaction or serves as a vent i would do it- hit a politician with a shoe. And am saying this with utmost conviction. As long as a journalist is doing his/her job of reporting the news accurately, what he does in a fit of emotion need not be judged!

Anonymous said...

Mr.Venkat u r not talking about our indian journalists who took lives of our people in mumbai mahem

Anonymous said...

Hi Venkat

Appropriate behaviour or otherwise, I thought the Iraqi journalist in question did what most of the world - and majority of the Americans - wanted to do anyway. I only hope that the shoe were not a new pair!

DP

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....