Sunday 28 December 2008

Another memorable year archived to history…!

It's been a year of many ups and downs – a roller coaster of a ride world wide. Life has traversed almost 365 days and though at a personal level – it has been a routine, that has nothing much to write about, - things around my world of interest have seen a sea change.

In spite of the fact that I have interests in varied fields – politics, sports, music, cinema, entertainment, environment, technology and more – following sports in general has always taken up most of my time, and cricket in particular has had some phenomenal performances that I would want to record during the course of this year-end summary for my diary.

A year that I cherish for having put back on track my passion for writing, especially this blog, also will be remembered for a few sad moments too. There are quite a few things during the year that stand out; top among them would be the moment I decided to embrace vaishnavism in totality – the Samasrayanam on October 1 would, I am sure, bring more inner peace to me and my family. Growth at work place is always reckoned as recognition of the dedication and this year too saw a climb of one rung up the ladder.
Having completed 1 year at my all-new ‘Dream home’ which is also completion of 3 decades at the same address is an achievement that marks the tranquility that life brings here.

The deaths and destruction caused across the world and in India have always pained me and this year too there was a fair share of such moments - the heightened terror strikes on Mumbai – being the lowest point. Personally losing my uncle (in Chennai) gave much grief, one which my family has slowly come to terms with.

For one always aiming to lead a very simple and principled life, giving much importance to ethics and morals – the year saw many a person I am associated with, transgress the set norms, giving much heart burn – and all I could do was watch in despair – a mute spectator. I pray, the New Year would give me lesser occasions of the kind to be witness to.


For the Cricket fanatic in me, this year would be remembered for, apart from many innings, the triple hundred by Sehwag against SA at Chennai, the swashbuckling innings of my International favourites – Greame Smith, Chris Gayle, McCullum and Sangakkara and the big victories in Tests for India versus the World’s top two teams (Aus & SA) and of course for the God of them all – Sachin Tendulkar – for not just going past Brian Lara and 12000 runs but also for burying the ghost of ‘having never scored’ the “fourth innings-century-enabling India win in Tests”. Yes he shall carry on into another year the spirit of ‘many an Indian hope’, and I wish he scale many more heights in his long and illustrious career.

As I reminisce of all the people who have travelled along with me through my life of almost 4 decades and continued to be supportive in the year that is coming to an end - a special mention of the newer friends who have come along and joined as co travellers in this journey, among them a young and bubbly decade and half junior from my school.


"New Year resolutions are made to be broken", says a good techie friend of mine, so in order to subvert this notion, and to break an addiction of over 22 years, I've advanced my 'resolution' by a few days - more on this later!


My new acquisition of the year – an i10 car in May, is one of the prized possessions that will vroom along with me and my family into the New Year with the renewed hope of finding peace, prosperity and virtues to make us all good human beings…!


With the thought:

"However dark and dense the clouds may be,
Sun will shine back.
And it will shine the brightest."

I wish a very Happy New-s Year 2009

________________________________

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi venky,

very nicely put year end writeup..
enjoyed reading it..
you,rekha and adithi, uncle aunty also have an eventful new year..
We wish you all the best :)
regards,
Vasu,Veena,Aditi and Anjan

Anonymous said...

Dear Venky

Very well written....personally this year has been a sad one for me too...we, at home, are still reeling against the blow of my mother's loss..still feels unbelievable that she is not amongst us...but nevertheless they say that time is the best healer....life goes on...professionally a good one as me too went up one rung on the ladder...have become more health conscious now that i have joined the gym..great to have u as a good friend...may 2009 bring you and your family all health, wealth, peace and prosperity. may all ur desires and wishes come true...may god shower his choicest of blessings on you....have a great 2009

Anonymous said...

hey venky, forgot to put my name in the above post..

v. natarajan

Anonymous said...

Hey Venky anna, Yes the year has been one of ups and downs..But yes the last day of this year shall remain my most special year for reasons best known to u! :) I have not just found a great friend in u but also a brother! :) Thanks for the special mention about me! ;) am assuming the bubbly junior is me! :D if it is me blush blush! hehe :D Love u loads! And yes Sachin is GOD!! He ROCKS!! Truly!!!

Eskayem said...

Hey! Venky,

Agree wid everything u hv put in de post. Wl hafta read again, more carefully n comment. For now though, would it suffice if I say ur writing is much-much better than many a Special Correspondent?

God Bless You, Aditi, Rekha n Venkat!

From Tanmayee, Subha n Suresh

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....