Friday 16 January 2009

Confessions of a flawed perfectionist

.... and there is no place for Modesty 

“Time and tide wait for none” – screamed the inspirational board on my school library wall – that was 1980. Five words that changed my perspective and in due course changed the perception of people towards me, not just then, but forever!

 

From my obsession for punctuality, that has brought more brickbats than bouquets, to the uncanny eye for detail – I’ve been faced with resistance from the multitude of people who have walked along and who I have encountered in my journey of life.

 

The outbursts following long waits for friends, who habitually turned up late – be it for movies, picnics, parties or even for the meetings at the street corner cafés, made my resolve stronger for punctuality and perfection.

 

Early in life I’ve seen my father, a soft spoken - god fearing – introvert – easily scared of and conned by many man struggling to come to terms with the guiles of the growing number of offenders – but resilient as always, he remained calm and continued to practice his way of life – one that is governed by time and morals.

 

From the baritone to the big physical frame – I am totally different from my father – I wanted to be and have been an extrovert, gregarious, brash and very temperamental.

However hard I’ve tried to be different from him, I’m glad there is one thing that’s in the genes – the overwrought nervousness that takes over in the face of punctuality or the lack of it around our world.

 

There are numerous stories that can be related by my friends, who have borne the brunt of my repulsive behaviour for ‘their’ lack of time sense and kept me waiting restlessly.

 

Even today as I watch helplessly the people around me ‘playing’ their role to perfection, I am left wondering – have I erred in a major way in my judgment, Should I have been as ‘move with the tide’ type or as ‘insensitive to the morals’ type - people who are revered and respected by the skewed social compulsions?

 

I have no doubt in answering the above with a firm No. My choice is made; I’d prefer penury to perjury, or the semblance to the same

 

What worries me to no end is that here “Time and Tide” does wait for the incompetent pretender, who shares space and is considered equal with the knowledgeable few.

 

This is just the beginning… There is more to it than meets the eye – I’ll be back recounting more experiences – or should I continue calling them ‘confessions’?

 


-------------------

9 comments:

liferedifined said...

Hey Anna, don't know if its the RKV trait or a mere coincidence..but i can relate to u r need to be punctual..however, unlike you, i am the accused now...i no longer wait for friends..i don reach for an assignment on time- coz i know they won't be/start on time..and for someone who hates waiting the best thing to do was to avoid waiting.. well..this is a 22 year old speaking! :) waitin to read more of ur confessions.

Vatsa said...

Your thoughts are very beautiful. How I wish I could write my thoughts the same way as you did, but Alas my thoughts are not as free flowing as yours. If words could only tell you how much your thoughts have moved me then I am lying. Keep posting more stuff bhaiyya.

Eskayem said...

Hey! Venky,

Yet another instance where ur English comes across in a seemingly-endless flow, putting the strength of ur feelings and thoughts much like the waves that hit de shore relentlessly.

Man, u sd only one para spoke of what u told me, but must confess dat I found two or even three paras that am sure were written with those thoughts in mind.

Gr8 piece of writing brudder and I will use dis 2 motivate me so dat I keep my 'indeworld.blogspot.com' constantly updated.

God Bless You

Anonymous said...

Its nice to read your recounts. The world we see around and the world as it sees us - both a matter of perception. In one of the stories from Mahabharath, Krishna sends Dharma and Dhuryodhana to the village and asks them to find if people were good or bad. Dharma percieved all men to be good and saw himself as flawed while Dhuryodhana returned finding all men far worst as compared his own self.

Time and tide too sometimes seem to stall in happy moments and sad moments. I personally believe today neither Perfectionism nor Professionalism is practiced or accepted at most of the social levels.It is sad that inorder to be socially acceptable one is pushed to the thinking, "am I doing the right thing?" or "am I the only one who thinks this way?".
Well, You are not alone. As I percieve, whoever understands us for what we are, the way we are remain friends, relatives... Whoever doesn't, well, they were not meant to be.

Applaud you for the clarity in how you want to be. Keep blogging anna.

Anonymous said...

hi bhayya, didnt know how to take this, firstly should i say that it looks like a pargraph of a text book where u dont know the meaning of many words, or shall i say that behind ur solid frame there is a very soft heart.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Srinath Iyer said...

Hey dude like Eskayem commented "ur english comes across in a seemingly endless flow" How i wish i could do that......:) well as i mentioned earlier ur trully gifted..... very neetly and beautifully written article...keep up the good work and keep my learning process on....:)

Srinath Iyer said...

i am sure i am not one of them who has kept you waiting:0

Venkat Parthasarathy said...

Srinath Sir,

Thanks for those kind words!

As for making you wait - Well you are one person who was always ahead of me in punctuality and I'd reach later - How on earth can I ever think of having to wait for you...!

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....