Monday 13 October 2008

The Chennai Diary

The Dasara Holidays for my daughter was the ideal vacation time for my family. Of all the exotic locations that I could think of, One name missing was Chennai. Well I ended up going to Chennai - more on a religious trip - rather.
Its been an exhilarating and enlightening trip, for I realised the Vaishnava in me.
Hectic - would be an understatement for the seven days passed off in a jiffy, criss crossing the city and its environs, catching up with relatives after almost a decade, and also a few friends after 18 years.

Fortunately I found the weather not too hot, sultry though. I liked the organised traffic in Chennai (surely something that's missing in Hyderabad). However the density of population leaves little to manouvre... Well I wasn't driving though.

I admired the Navaratri celebrations.. the Kolu, the fanfare, the shopping centres of Usman Road, T Nagar, Pondy Bazar... The unwavering autowallahs, the ever crowded city buses, the deft driving of the Taxis, the silent yet swift electric trains, the enchanting Marina beach, and the early to rise spirited Chennai-ites.

The highlight of the trip was the visit to Singa Perumal Koil near Chenglepet for the Samasrayanam. There is an excellent writeup and summary of Samasrayanam in this link: http://saranagathi.org/blogs/articles/samasrayanam/)

I found Chennai - A metro quite different from the other three big ones, one that is passionate about everything it does.
A salute to the Capital city... from a born tamilian who just spent six months here - almost two decades ago!

Back to Hyderabad - I feel the cooler weather - a home coming that's well - Home...! and that's where the heart is !!!

No comments:

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....