Wednesday 22 October 2008

The fun of travelling in Second Class

Train travel has always been a very exhilarating experience.

However over the years, it’s become boring mainly due to being caged in the Air conditioned compartments that give very little view of the outside world, sans the fresh air and the noisy surroundings. Travel time is spent mostly with books or sleep in state-owned rugs or the odd chat with the co-passenger.

A last minute trip gave me an opportunity to relive the growing up days. Call it ill luck or providence I was left with no choice but travel by Sleeper Class or Second Class as we always knew it.

From the moment I boarded the train, I never regretted having this chance of going Second Class, I felt earthly sitting in the train amidst the cackle of the vendors and the chatter of co passengers.

My daughter was mighty pleased with the view from the window, the refreshing breeze that cut the rocking and the crackling of the train.

The trees seemed to be disciplined in their line formation and were passing at intermittent intervals. The greenery was all encompassing.

I reveled silently in the verdancy and felt at peace gazing out of the window continuously. It was the perfect way to unwind away from the hustle and bustle of living in a choked metropolis.

The tranquility was amazing and it was intermission time with nightfall.

I woke up to the first ray of sunlight cutting through the glass window and soon continued to relish the chill in the air.

Couple of hours after dawn we reached our destination and the world soon turned concrete.


I am yearning for more of this pleasure which had nothing “second class” stamped on it.


An experience that surely reflects my way of life – Down to earth Simple…!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Venkat,
I Agree with you as always

Laks

sudha said...

do u remember venky??
a whiff of fragrance....these nostalgic memories take me to the memory lane and makes me feel a real college girl..ha ha...pray such enchanting air be always be in our mind and body, heart and soul.
sudha s.rao

Eskayem said...

Venky,

If I had not spoken 2 u b4, I would have enjoyed ur post that much better. Anywayz, this is not 2 b critical. I hope u dont think thataway, while still knowing you wont think thataway.

Thanx for taking readers like us no a second class journey. Keep it up and keep dem stuff coming. Most of us are so caught up in the mundane, everyday world that we do not bother giving such things a thought.


God Bless.

Unknown said...

Hello Venkat, Saw this post of yours about travelling in Second Class compartement! Beautiful, and it took me down the memory lane when I criss-crossed across 3/4th of India in early 90s while appearing for competitive exams, interviews etc. I always travelled, also due to thefact that I couldn't afford first or
a/c class, sleeper class. Those travel times were simply amazing, esp.the diversity of people I came across in those compartments, right from my co-passengers to the waiters from the pantry car to the street kids ready to clean the space between births for some cash (I really admired them, their guts & hardwork)...that was my real India! Oooo how much I miss those times...n I m recalling Kishore 'da's old classic number "Koi Lauta De Mere Beete Hue Din, Beete Hue Din Wo Mere Pyaare Pal Chhinn!" from '64 flick "Door Gagan Ki Chhaon Mein"

Manjula said...

My daughter Adithi (your daughter Adithi's Friend) loves travelling in sleeper class as she can chat with more people and see and feel the view outside.

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....