Tuesday 14 October 2008

Nostalgic trip down memory lane...!

June 1990: I joined as a Medical representative and was posted in Chennai. My office was on the beach road behind Santhome Church and the work area was Purasawakkam, Doveton, Vepery, Vyasarpadi, MKB Nagar, Moolakadai, Kodingyur, Red Hills and Uthukottai.
Well, new to Chennai, it took me some days to get to know these places, then the people and their whims and fancies. I took a room - a single room accommodation - in what was touted as Bachelor's Paradise - Triplicane.

At 20 years, I learnt to live alone, commute on buses to office and place of work, every day eating at a new joint - breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. Had quite a few friends - mostly Hindi speaking - common thread - Non Chennai Bachelors.

Apart from the weekend getaway to relatives' places in and around the far off Tambaram, my only other time pass was the beach, movies - mostly Tamil, the only Hindi movies I saw in Chennai then was Aashiqui & Naam, and the endless discovery of the lanes and by lanes of Chennai on foot.

Six months later I bid adieu to Chennai to be back permanently to Hyderabad - my home!

I carried many memories, the late night binges, the care free lifestyle, the solitary travels and travails, the road side eateries and the endless walking. I also found my caption for life during these days - An insurance company advertisement hoarding on Mount Road screamed "Life is Too Wonderful to be Spent Worrying"...! I captured that as my own for life...! Even today I believe in the borrowed adage.

18 years later: October 2008:
I am back in Chennai, for a holiday with my family. On a Sunday morning I take my cousin's bike on a drive through the lanes and by lanes of Triplicane, my room in Lal Begum street (incidentally I was one of the 1st residents of the then newly opened Mansion - see pic), the shop in Big street, the breakfast hotel on Pycrofts road, the lunch mess on Triplicane high road, the dinner joint (a small dhaba kind) on Bells road and of course to the home of a very old friend on Meeyan Sahib street. A really nostalgic trip down memory lane...!

Time flies, infrastructure develops, technology takes over, people grey...

What remain are the fond memories...!

1 comment:

Eskayem said...

Hey Venky!

Too-Three-Four-Five n more-much da. Anabso wonderful piece of writing. Never had any doubts though, about ur writing. And yet your simplistic style hit me and surely will hit others who read it.

Every word looks like its-straight-from-the-heart (I know it really does come from there).

Was just wondering if u shared ur nostalgia with Adi n Reks, as in were they wid u on ur drive through Nostalgia?

Suresh Krishnamoorthy, with a request to leave as many comments as possible on www.indeworld.blogspot.com. Hee hee...

Lotsa luv n hugz.

‘Effervescent, mercurial, genius, a genuinely warm and wonderful human Being’

Tribute Summer of 1995 : He arrived in Hyderabad, from Chennai, to take up the assignment as Assistant Regional Manager, Advt, at The Hindu....